Friday 28 March 2014

About the Host

American History Untucked is hosted by David Silkenat (me).

I'm a lecturer (UK equivalent of an assistant professor) at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland. I teach classes on 19th century American History, focusing on the American South, slavery, and the Civil War.

Prior to teaching at the University of Edinburgh, I taught for five years at North Dakota State University. I received my Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill and my undergraduate degree from Duke.  After college and before graduate school, I spent 4 years teaching at Jacksonville Episcopal High School.

I'm probably best known in academic circles for a book I published with UNC Press in 2011 called Moments of Despair: Suicide, Divorce, and Debt in Civil War Era North Carolina, which won the North Caroliniana Society award for the best non-fiction book published that year. It recently came out in paperback, so buy a copy -- it's not as depressing as the title suggests.

No comments:

Post a Comment